The civilian population that migrated from Drummond Island to Penetanguishene in 1828/29 was primarily the same population that had followed the relocations of the British military from Michilimackinac to St. Joseph Island and Drummond Island. Historic records documenting this population migration identify specific Métis families within it.
By the 1840s, in addition to the significant Métis population at Penetanguishene and environs, some of these families had also established up the eastern shore of Georgian Bay to Parry Sound and environs for fishing as well as other economic and trading opportunities at various posts in the area.
By the 1850s, the Penetanguishene neighbourhood known as the French Settlement was largely inhabited by Métis. Tiny Township also became home to a number of the Drummond Islanders, many of whom were known to be Métis, by the late 1830s. Penetanguishene Métis marriage patterns (circa 1835 to 1900) show a large degree of inter-group marriage(Métis marrying Métis), rather than marrying into other groups in the area, such as the French habitants families who lived in nearby locations.
The historic records shows the fur trade continues to be a key source of employment for Métis individuals into the 1860s.The 1901 census records for a district of Simcoe East, Baxter and Byng Inlet (near Parry Sound) indicated that, 25% of the Baxter Township self-identified as “French Breed” with surnames from the historic Penetanguishene Métis population.